When the weather is turning cold or sudden changes happen, the immediate response of your body is getting a cough, others catch the flu, which usually results in phlegm. phlegm is often in your throat, containing bacteria, viruses, which can cause irritations and stuff. If not treated immediately or properly, it usually causes other worse infection.
Treating phlegm is a tough thing to do since it cannot completely vanish, sometimes it can make people feel distressful. These following simple ways can help people solve their problems completely without any irritations.
phlegm is usually stuck in your nasal passages then go down through your throat. Steam is an effective way to thaw it into liquid form to make it easier to get rid of. To save your time, you can your bathroom and apply the method while showering. Or in another way, you can follow these steps:
- Fill a bowl with hot boiling water.
- While it is steaming, deeply inhale for 10 minutes or until the water cools down.
- Use a towel over your head to avoid wetting your hair.
- You can add few drops of essential oil to hot water to have the best results.
Salt water has antioxidant properties that deal with bacteria/ virus contained in your mouth including phlegm. In addition, it has soothing benefits which can deal with irritated in your throat and save yourself from infection. The way to apply is quite simple since it is common among people.
- In a cup of 1 teaspoon of salt, fill with warm water.
- Mix it well then swish the solution.
- Repeat the process at least twice a day every day instead of your mouthwash.
Another great ingredient you can find around that is effective the house is lemon. The antibacterial and vitamin C properties can enhance body’s function to deal with the virus. The acidic property in lemon can also lose phlegm in your throat, making it easier to get rid of.
- In a glass of water, mix honey and lemon juice follow 1:2 ratio.
- Drink the mixture throughout the day.
- For the best results, you can warm it up before using.
- Alternatively, you can eat slices of lemon soaked with salt and pepper.
People have been using ginger to treat infection for ages. Therefore it can make a great natural ingredient to deal with phlegm in your throat/ nose. In addition, antibacterial properties in ginger can be used to fight against the virus and prevent yourself from infection.
- Slice one ginger into thin pieces then boil them with one 1 of water.
- Leave it for few minutes then add few teaspoons of honey.
- Dink the solution throughout the day.
- Repeat the action until the phlegm is completely gone.
Along with being a great skin care ingredient, turmeric is useful in getting rid of mucus and phlegm. It removes all excess mucus in your nasal or throat. To make the most of turmeric, use with warm milk in the morning.
- In a cup of hot milk, add few teaspoons of turmeric.
- Mix them well and drink it.
- Drink it twice a day and make sure the mixture is warm before use.
6. Chicken soup
Homemade chicken is always the best, especially when it comes to treating phlegm, flu, cough…having a warm pot of chicken soup around and eat whenever you feel hungry. For the best results, you can add slices of ginger or handful of herb to increase antibacterial properties.
7. Cayenne pepper
Using Cayenne pepper to treat phlegm can be painful for those who cannot resist pungent. However, the fruit works wonders in dealing with excess mucus and ease your sore throat.
- Mix cayenne pepper and fresh ginger juice each ½ teaspoon along with one teaspoon of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of water into the mixture and stir it.
- Drink at least twice a day until phlegm is gone.
This article is written by Tushar Sekhon, 5 years experienced Neuro Physician in Ahmedabad.